No, I’m not looking for a new job; however, my boss is stepping down and the opportunity to become my boss is available. If you know someone who would be great for the position, please let me know.
Here is a snippet of the advertisement:
The Dean is the chief academic, administrative and budgetary officer of the Division, is responsible for leadership and development of all internal programs as well as external relationships and constituencies, and reports to the Provost. The University of Denver is looking for a proven academic leader and fiscal manager:
- with vision and innovative strategies for academic development and curricular and research growth,
- to lead the faculty, as well as internal and external constituents; to envision and implement new models for teaching, research and advancement; to expand and enhance existing programs; to upgrade the Division’s infrastructure at all levels and to acquire new resources,
- to be a champion for the natural sciences and mathematics in our academic environment that melds undergraduate teaching and research with graduate and grant-funded program initiatives,
- to develop the human capital of the Division – to promote and reward excellence in teaching, research and service, and to enhance diversity among faculty, staff and students.
The successful candidate should have:
- proven administrative experience,
- experience with curriculum development and knowledge of emerging issues in higher education and research
- strong organizational, communication, leadership and interpersonal skills,
- the ability to interact effectively with all levels of academic administration, faculty, students, and the external community,
- experience in promoting grant-funded research and fund raising,
- a doctoral degree and a record of experience and accomplishment in both teaching and research to merit appointment as a tenured full professor in one of the departments of the Division.
Obviously, we are looking for the superman (or woman) of scientific academic administration. I hope we find him or her.