I tried new supplements on today’s run: Gu and Clif Gel. I have been using Hammer Gel but sometimes my stomach gets very cramped when I use it. I wanted to know whether it was just the Hammer Gel or whether all gels would have the same effect. The Strawberry Clif Gel tasted nasty. It seemed to work well but for me at least this is gel of last resort. The Gu gels tasted pretty good. I tried orange and lemon lime. One thing I was experimenting with on this run was caffeine. One Gu and the Clif Gel both had some caffeine in them. I am a heavy coffee drinker and at the end of long runs I tend to exhibit caffeine withdrawal symptoms: head ache, fatigue, etc. My legs still feel a bit tired but all in all I generally feel much better than normal.
I ran 13 miles today. The plan was 2 hours and 40 minutes or 12 miles (Hal Higdon). I was thinking about breaking through my 15 mile max but my knees started to ache so I stopped. This week’s run was much more comfortable than last week where it just wasn’t not happening. I’m not sure whether I’m ready, but I am signed up for the 20 mile race next weekend and plan to run it.
Week 20 Plan (scheduled as a recovery week)
- Monday: off
- Tuesday: 36 minutes total with 16 minutes at threshold pace
- Wednesday: Strength
- Thursday: Lactate Intervals, 38 minutes total with 3 x 3 minutes @ VO2 max pace, 3 minutes active recoveries
- Friday: Alternate Cardio, 35 minutes
- Saturday: Optional Foundation Run 30 minutes; Strength
- Sunday: 1/2 marathon tune up or 18 miles (Hal Higdon). Of course I’m signed up for a 20 mile race. So if I can run 18 miles and walk the last two this will be a big success.
Still have 98 of my 100 points in the John Stone Fitness Challenge. I’m down a few pounds and my waist is shrinking a bit. No other major changes.